Wednesday, February 3, 2010

From sheet to chic in 30 min. JCrew inspired tank

This color is SO dreamy, My sister bought it and I fell in love. I knew I could do something like it, I just wish I had the same color. DARN.
{JCrew}
You will be starting with an old jersey sheet. If you dont have any Wal-mart carries them in tons of colors and are around 7$ for a flat sheet.Which is not bad cause I still have a ton of mine left over.Or just go to your local fabric store and buy some jersey, whatever works for you:) And it should  only take about 30 minutes!!

Cut off the top part of the sheet, being carefull not to cut the serged edge.
( This is the part that is already folded over, and is usually about 2")
Then I used an old tank for a pattern and cut around, leaving about 1/2 an inch on both sides for a seam allowance.
Pin your shoulders
Open the top part and cut one side of the neckline slighlty lower.
fold back over
Sew your shoulders together. If your shoulder is too wide you can gather them.
Sew a seam starting under the arm hole and going all the way down. Now your shirt is assembled.Turn right side out. You can finish your edges, but I just left mine raw.
Take your long strip and at your machine set the tension as high as it will go, and select your longest stitch length. It should atomatically ruffle for you. Best part: no string pulling:)
Pretty,huh?
Now pin the ruffle on the shirt, Starting in 1corner, then doing a figure 8 on the side and right up under against the top ruffle.
Sew down the center of ruffle and foloow the whole thing from one end to the other, backstitching at both ends.
 And your DONE!!
 Super easy and pretty. Isn't it crazy how poor the lighting is inside the house, the fabric looked grey.

29 comments:

  1. Wow! That is cool...unfortunately I don't have that good of sewing machine skills and mine doesn't work great either. I love the ruffle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is soo cute!! Thanks for sharing out to make this! I can't wait to try it out :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this and immediately went to my old sheet fabric stash! I don't have any that would work but you gave me some ideas to play around with, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this! I am a sucker for anything with ruffles!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the neck isn't finished. Darn turning that thing to an outside curve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome idea! Love the shirt, and the raw edges on the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is fabulous! Too bad I don't sew... maybe I should learn. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this...how wide is the ruffle and how do you attach it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I tried it out and it was so easy! not to mention absolutely adorable! thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two questions:

    1. When you say "Cut off the top part", what is the "top part"?

    2. What do you do after you attach the ruffle with pins? I hope you sew it on somehow..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry my response has taken so long ladies, I've been pretty busy and my E-mail kept throwing my alerts in the Junk mail. So I went back and fixed the tute so hopefully that helps and answers your questions. thanks for bring it to my attention that I forgot something:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a really cute idea. I am going to make it right now. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great great instructions! Wish all tutes were this clear and concise! Can't wait to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will definitely be trying this...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to try it on my new machine. Haven't made anything since maternity clothes - and what a long time ago that was! Super cute! Thanks so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! So cute! I hope to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This shirt is just sssoooo cute! I don't have the figure for it, but I'd love to make one. I wonder if my daughter-in-law would like one? Why not; its priceless! Thanks for sharing the great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable! I do have a question though--when you change the tension, is it both the top and bobbin tension or only the top?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this!! It is pretty yet simple at the same time. I am making my own clothes for an adventure I am heading on this year and this one will be perfect for the journey. Thank You for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Christina,
    Great idea and very good tutorial, thanks for sharing, I'm going to try it.
    I love your blog, congratulations.
    If you want to visit mine I'll be glad :)

    Hugs from Portugal
    Ana Lopes
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Christina,
    Great Tutorial....do we hv to change foot to gather ?

    Thanks,
    Shubha

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hard to follow the directions, what with all the typos and misspellings.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you not hem around the neckline, armholes, or anything? I understand that with this type of fabric it's not necessary, but was just curious because in the tutorial it doesn't say anything about that.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some Love

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails